Saturday, August 29, 2009

To Leave or Not to Leave

There are times when I think that I will be ready to leave Sweden in a year or even sooner. Then there are times like today.
This morning, I tried to quickly pick up my house and give it a quick cleaning where it needed it most. We were expecting some company that included friends of my parents-in-law and some of our friends here in Sweden. When they arrived, we chatted for a while, enjoyed fika (well, I didn't eat anything, but I held Hunter and participated in the conversation), and then I had to leave with the kids for a birthday celebration for Kristen's good friend, Elvira. It is very convenient that her parents are also our friends (Elisabet and Johan).
We were running a little late, but I was really looking forward to this afternoon because I enjoy spending time with these friends. My time with them was not a disappointment. After a delicious lunch, Timothy joined us. We talked for a while, then we had to have some fika (Of course! That is what Swedes do :) ). My friends had made a very flat sugar cake, which Elisabet cut into heart shapes. They had various fillings and sprinkles. The kids (and adults) then got to make their own custom cakes, which I thought was a fun idea. After fika we hung out for a while longer while the kids played some more.
Elisabet and Johan are wonderful people (and I am not just saying that because she reads my blog), and I thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon together. We had to force ourselves to leave so they could have dinner and get their kids to bed. I do have my frustrating days being here, but spending time with this family makes me realize how hard it will be to leave when the time comes.

No comments: