Monday, March 01, 2010

Rumblings

This weekend, we were inside, about to eat dinner when we heard a loud crack, followed by rumbling and a dull thud. The whole house shuddered with the noise. We wondered what in the world it could be, when Timothy said that it might be snow falling off of our roof. Indeed, it was. The weight of the snow that was drenched with rain on Friday, combined with the above-freezing temperatures, lessened the coefficient of friction enough that the weight of the snow was able to push it off the roof. These house-shuddering (and nerve-wrecking) noises were repeated randomly throughout the evening, night, and following day. It is rather alarming to wake up to what sounded like our own, personal avalanche, but knowing what it was helped significantly. Of course, the result is a pile of snow that follows the perimeter of our house. When I open the front door, this is what I see.


And this is out the back door. Notice that the snow reaches as high as the door handle in the back. You can't even see the rest of the back yard from this angle.


I haven't checked outside to see if any snow remains on the roof, but I can see piles out every window.
It is snowing again today. The good news is that we don't have to worry about the snow becoming so heavy that the roof collapses.

1 comment:

The Sharum's said...

O MY!!! That is interesting!!