Today was more laid-back than the previous days. After a leisurly breakfast, we headed to the nearby town of Mannheim in search of a park the owner of the hotel had told us about. This place was huge, including several playgrounds, a butterfly house, many open grassy parts, a "citrus garden," and more. We spent the morning in one of the playgrounds that included cars, play forts, and a small water park.
H wanting to take a turn
After slathering up with sunscreen and getting changed into their swimsuits, the kids sauntered off to enjoy the refreshing water on this hot summer day.
K trepidaciously awaiting the cold water
K leaning back under the water
K and AJ about to get in
AJ playing
K enjoying the water wheel
Chasing after HAfter everyone had had enough of the water, we dried off and ambled over to a different area of the park to enjoy a picnic lunch in the shade by some flowers.

The flowers were planted to look like this guy...
...but it is difficult to tell from the ground. I imagine an aerial view would offer a better perspective.After lunch and running around the flowers (by the kids), we packed up and walked around the park in search of bathrooms (which we found) and the butterfly house (which we didn't). We stopped at another playground for a while, we finally decided to head back to the car since the kids were hot and tired, and it seemed that the butterfly house was located in the opposite side of the park from where we parked.
I wanted to explore downtown Heidelberg just a little more, so we headed that direction after leaving the park. All three kids fell asleep on the way, so I got out and wandered alone for about 30 minutes while Timo stayed with the kids. As I was walking around, I spotted another church to visit. Of course, I stepped in to take a look around and snap a few pictures.
Looking toward the front. This picture doesn't do justice to the stained glass windows.
The old clock from the clock tower.
This building was right across the street from the church. I thought it was really cool that the clock was so visible in the reflection in the window.When I walked back toward the parking garage, I stopped in to see how everyone was doing. The kids were still sleeping, and Timo was playing soccer on his iphone. We decided to wake everyone up and go back out. After a little looking around, we decided it was time for ice cream.
AJ enjoying his ice cream cone.With everyone cooled down and happy from the ice cream, we looked around some of the shops a little more and made our way back to the church we had visited the previous day. There are a number of stalls set up adjacent to the church that date back to the 15th century, when bakers would sell their bread there. There are several stalls, and I imagine they were occupied by various other vendors, but I am not sure. Now they are just souvenier shops, peddling their wares to the hoards of tourists who come through yearly. I told K and AJ they could each choose one thing. AJ kept gravitating toward cars that could be bought anywhere, but K chose a small German doll.
While we were looking around, H decided to sit down in protest, and a group of Oriental tourists thought he was so cute. There were about three or four young ladies, and they wanted to talk to him, give him five, and take his picture. So, somewhere out there is a picture of H among someone's Heidelberg pictures.
As the day wore on, we started getting hungry. I wanted to eat some German food, and we walked down the street, perusing the various menus to decide where we should stop. We finally stepped into the courtyard of a museum and ate at the restaurant there. The location was better than most sidewalk cafes because the kids had room to play while we waited for our food. Again, this was important for H, who had been sitting in his usual spot in the backpack for the better part of the afternoon. I ordered schnitzle with spaetzle (German noodles), the kids ordered fish sticks, and Timo ordered schnitzle with french fries. After dinner, I asked the waiter for some bottle caps for K. He gave us a handful, including a few with "Heidelberg" on them. What a fun souvenier for her.
K and H sitting in the grass by the restaurant (yes, I know they are really small).After dinner, we drove back to the hotel, where they were setting up for the big game between Germany and Spain. K chose to read a while, and Timo went downstairs to kick the soccer ball around with AJ. When the game started, Timo headed downstairs with K and AJ to watch with the locals while I stayed upstairs with H. When it became apparent that H was not tired, after all, we joined everyone downstairs.
The "locals" turned out to be several Americans in the military, some other guests, and the family who owns the hotel.
T and AJ watching the game. The three people directly in front of him are all from the US.While Timo watched the game, I watched other interesting happenings.
H walking around the hotel grounds. He later took off one of his shoes.
The soccer game I was interested in: K was playing with some other (French-speaking) kids who were staying there.
K being silly for the camera. I think she still has some chocolate ice cream on her face. :o)At half time, I gathered up the kids and the shoe that H took off, took them upstairs, and put them to bed. I didn't hear any cheering, so I gathered things weren't going so well in the game. When Timo came upstairs at the end of the game, I learned I was right.
Overall it was a good day. We needed the relaxing time, and Timo felt like he got to do something he wanted to do when watching the game. We all went to bed happy (except the Germans).







No comments:
Post a Comment