Friday, April 02, 2010

Dying Eggs

It's that time of year again -- the time when chickens lay colored eggs. Well, maybe not, but it is time to dye eggs again. This year we found some egg-dying tablets at our local supermarket. I was thrilled because last year we only had food coloring. We also found a stencil set that holds the egg while the child colors it with markers. The kids loved that, and they were excited to use it today.

This morning, after a pancake breakfast, I boiled 16 eggs for our project. A few of them cracked in the pot, and we ended up with 6 eggs each plus one extra one. Once they cooled and we mixed the tablets with water and vinegar, we were ready to go.


Kristen pinching her nose because she didn't like the smell of the vinegar.



Kristen with her eggs.

AJ with his eggs


Kristen dying her eggs.


AJ dying his eggs


AJ with his dyed eggs


Kristen with her dyed eggs.


Kristen using the stencil to further decorate her eggs.


After the kids were done with their eggs, I hid them around the house for an early Easter egg hunt. I love watching kids hunt for eggs because they are so thrilled when they find one. After all the eggs had been found, we had lunch, which included hard-boiled eggs. Big surprise. ;)
I figure we have at least two more egg hunts in our near future. The kids want me to hide their plastic eggs with candy, and I know that they will ask to have a hunt both tomorrow and Sunday.
What fun to be a parent.

No comments: